We are called to serve others.
Think about it! We were put on Earth for some reason, what is it? Maybe that’s something we will never find out. But there is something that always makes that connection for me from time to time. I feel it when I serve other people, authentically.
Think about a time where you were really hurting in your life and someone helped you out in some way. What was it that they did that made a positive difference for you even if it was a small gesture? The little things do matter, especially when you’re hurting, stressed out, and just need a little TLC!
True service requires sacrifice. Maybe it’s not giving money to others, but maybe it’s using your unique talents or just a thoughtful conversation to make a bad day into a better day for someone you know.
Here are some easy ideas to serve others:
1. Write a short handwritten card to a coworker, friend, business partner, or family member acknowledging them. Being thought about is sometimes just enough.
2. Buy someone lunch.
3. Start someone’s car for them in the cold – your mom, dad, brother, sister, or significant other.
4. Be a mentor.
5. Don’t take the best seat in the house (church, restaurant, or at an event).
6. Champion others. Promote their work. Refer their services forward.
7. Volunteer at your local church.
8. Do a chore without being asked or reminded.
9. Send an anonymous donation to someone you know is financially struggling.
10. Always hold the door open for others (wait if you have too).
11. Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
12. Smile at people when you make eye contact.
13. Be happy for someone, whoever it is, even if it means you’re left out during whatever that is.
14. Take a friend who is in a funk and just listen, don’t talk about yourself.
15. Leave a good server an even better tip.
16. Call your grandparents more often or better yet, visit them without it being an expectation.
17. Offer to babysit for free for one of your friends so they can have a night out.
18. Anytime you go to someone’s house for any type of event, bring wine, bring cheese and crackers, anything is thoughtful and will be appreciated by the host and they will remember it.
19. If someone drops something in the grocery store and it makes a mess, don’t let them sit there to pick it up themselves and feel embarrassed, lend a helping hand, they will appreciate it!
20. Give people awesome coupons you aren’t using or know about
21. Always try to compliment someone in a small way in a conversation, “I like your scarf.”, “What a nice haircut”! (there are ways to do this without being a creep) 🙂
22. Know your energy you’re putting out and own it. Pour out good energy and it will come back to you.
23. Offer to pet sit for free when a family member or friend goes on a vacation (so helpful and less stressful for the owner).
24. Let your partner choose the TV show, where you go to dinner, what movie you see, or attend something that they’re interested in that maybe isn’t for you, they will appreciate your interest, thoughtfulness, and effort.
25. Pay it forward – buy someone’s coffee in line at Starbucks, pay for someone’s gas, if someone’s card declines at the store – don’t let them be embarrassed, help them out.